Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kumamoto city and castle

Kumamto is more inland and hotter as compared to other places in Kyushu. New bullet train line is being built here, so everywhere seems some construction going on.

After arriving, I noticed that many people were watching me (more than in other cities in Japan). You came to watch attractions, but sometimes you become attraction yourself – it’s just natural, I thought. So, I expected to see no other foreigner in town, but it was not true. There were other foreign tourists.

Kumamoto castle and Suizenji Jojuen Garden are two famous tourist spots here.

Kumamoto castle
Image: statue infront of castle

Kumamoto castle is one of biggest I have seen so far. It was built around 1600 to 1607. Main tower burned down and the current building is reconstruction. Steep fence is surrounding castle and smaller towers around the perimeter are watch towers. They were used to look out for enemy approaching. One watch tower survived and is original, according to booklet I received at the gate.


Video: Some moments around Kumamoto castle

Kumamoto castle
Image: main tower of Kumamoto castle

Kumamoto castle
Image: from main tower is nice look on surrounding mountains and city.

Kumamoto castle
Image: another look on the castle showing walls

Suizenji Jojuen Garden is Japanese traditional style garden. There are also turtles swimming in the pond.

Park
Image: inside Suizenji Jojuen Park

Park
Image: inside Suizenji Jojuen Park


Video: some moments I captured in garden

My journey continues to Kagoshima city.

No comments: